Effective, Non-Toxic Head Lice Removal Treatments Available at NitWits
Head lice are more common in the summer months, with children often returning from summer camp with these human parasites in their hair. For this reason, all families with children should become educated about head lice and which non-toxic removal treatments are safest and most effective.
NitWits, in North Cambridge, was founded in 2004 by school nurse Berit Pratt, RN, BSN, MPH, to help families better manage head lice in their communities. It offers same-day appointments for lice and nit removal, which includes education on effective strategies for the prevention of re-infestation. Head lice creates a huge stress for moms due to the confusion about effective treatment required for eradication. Pratt teaches parents about pesticide-free treatments and how to safely remove the nits and lice from their children’s heads without the use of ineffective toxic pesticides. “Head lice are misunderstood, and there is still a very strong social stigma associated with head lice in the U.S.A. adding to ‘Mom Lice Stress’ (MLS),” says Pratt. Additionally, all parents get “delusional parasitosis” (whole body itches) when they discover their child has head lice. This common, but annoying, parasite is manageable and does not deserve the outdated stigma associated with it.
Pratt received a master’s degree in public health researching pesticides and their effects on human health. It is now known that the chemical pesticides used for head lice are no longer effective, and possibly toxic. Through NitWit’s educational program, school nurses and parents can access accurate knowledge and the proper tools to effectively and safely manage head lice in their communities. Pratt is available to P.T.A. and school nurse groups to present her most recent findings and techniques in effective head lice treatment and management.