Please read through this information fully before submitting your article with one of the links below.
- Feature Article Length: 450 – 700 words (digital-only articles may be longer).
- EcoTip and HealthTip Editorial: 350-400 words.
- News Brief & Kudos: 50-250 words.
- Deadline: Due on or before the 5th of the month prior to publication.
- Articles should be written in layman’s terms, and impart information in a way that does not sound self-serving. Think 8th grade reading level.
- Rather than tackling a vast subject, it is better to focus on a particular segment (Example: Using Chinese Medicine to Treat Menopause rather than Everything You Want to Know About Chinese Medicine).
- Article submissions should include facts and/or statistics that would be of interest to our readers. Any medical claims should be accompanied by cited research or credible source(s).
- We reserve the right to edit all submissions if necessary; for longer features, a copy of revisions can be returned upon request provided they are submitted by published deadlines.
- Please include a brief biography at the end of your article. Please understand that legitimate sources (i.e. medical journals, scientific studies, etc.) will improve the chances of your article being published.
- For the best chance of acceptance, we suggest you review the Natural Awakenings' editorial style guidelines.
- If your article has been published elsewhere, we are probably not interested.
- We cannot guarantee publication, and if accepted, we may not publish your piece immediately. If you would like us to keep the submission for future consideration, please let us know when submitting your article.
- News briefs and articles that the magazine originates are not subject to copy review. We’ll call to check facts as needed.
- Footnote all sources cited in detail: Books and magazines need title, author, publisher, year and page number. Individuals need name, title, organization, phone, email, city and company website. We won’t publish most of this, but it saves hours in fact checking.
- Your original work will most likely be edited to fit our magazine’s style guidelines and we reserve that right. If you wish to review edits to your submission, send it at least seven days before the deadline, and be accessible for consultation.